pmi standards development
pmi global standards are the foundation of the profession, helping you ensure your organization’s knowledge and frameworks are up-to -date.
how are standards developed?
our standards are developed and approved through a consensus-based process that ensures all interested stakeholders can participate. we are an american national standards institute (ansi) accredited standards developer, and our process conforms with ansi procedures.
standards development follows six steps:
- to develop a specific standard, we charter a committee including a chair, vice-chair and volunteers, and assign a pmi staff member to serve as a resource.
- the committee meets over a period of several months to draft and refine the standard.
- the pmi standards member advisory group (mag) and subject matter experts review the draft and return it to the committee for revision.
- the revised exposure draft is made available for public comment, which the committee considers and revises again.
- the finished standard is sent for approval to the pmi consensus body, a group of independent volunteer members who validate the development process of each pmi standard.
- upon recommendation by the pmi standards manager, the new standard is approved by pmi’s president and ceo.
the incorporation of research into the standards development process enhances the current consensus approach by detecting and monitoring trends in the profession, ensuring organizational strategy is incorporated, and providing evidence-based information to assist our standards committees to make informed decisions for future standards.