international standards activities
to promote the project management profession, pmi volunteers and staff participate in a number of international standards activities.
iso/tc 258 technical committee
iso, the international standards organization headquartered in geneva, switzerland develops international standards related to a wide variety of topics. iso’s technical committee tc258 develops standards for project, program, and portfolio management and related topics. tc258 has developed the following international standards published by iso:
- iso 21500: 2012, guidance on project management
- iso 21503: 2017, guidance on programme management
- iso 21504: 2015, guidance on portfolio management
- iso 21505: 2017, guidance on governance
tc258 is also developing the following:
- iso 21508, earned value management (publication due mid 2018)
- iso 21511, work breakdown structure (publication due mid 2018)
- iso 21505, project management vocabulary (publication due mid 2018)
- a revision of iso 21500, guide to project management (publication expected 2021)
- an overarching document describing the ppp environment (publication expected 2021)
- project management competencies (publication expected 2022)
pmi administers the iso/tc 258 secretariat on behalf of the american national standards institute (ansi). pmi staff member karl best ([email protected]) serves as secretary. mr. steve fahrenkrog serves as chairperson on behalf of ansi.
more information about iso/tc258 may be found on iso's website.
interested in participating?
if you are interested in participating in iso/tc 258, you must first join your country’s mirror committee. start by contacting your country’s national standards body.
if you or your organization are domiciled in the united states and would like to participate in iso/tc 258 activities, you can join the u.s. technical advisory group (u.s. tag), an ansi-accredited committee comprised of subject matter experts, individuals and entities directly and materially affected by the standards activities of iso/tc 258. contact pmi staff member lorna scheel, the secretary of the us tag, at [email protected].